Tiki idol wearing surgical mastk

Coronavirus Statement

Update 4/7/2020

Holding out hope for Tiki Kon: Eye of the Tiki

We'll be honest, at this point we have no idea whether conditions around the world and here in Oregon will allow us to hold Tiki Kon as planned in July. We're keeping a weather eye on conditions, but re-opening the country is going to be a slow process.

If you've ever attended an event like this, you know that social distancing just won't work, especially where everyone's drinking and attending crowded shows, vending, talks, and room parties. Nor can we reduce capacity enough to make it feasible and still break even.

So what's the plan? Here's the best answers we have right now...

Q: Are you cancelling Tiki Kon?

We're not sure yet. We're still holding out hope that we won't have to, but it's really hard to say right now. We will need to make a decision by May, before add-on tickets go on sale and we start producing merch. If we can't hold Tiki Kon at the end of July as planned, we will cancel this year's event altogether and roll everything over to 2021.

Q: Why not postpone until fall?

We just don't think it will be feasible or worthwhile to postpone to a later date in 2020. September and October are already full with other rescheduled events, and it is unlikely that the space we need will be available at the DoubleTree. And based on how things are going, we're not convinced large gatherings will be allowed by then. We want to spread aloha, not the virus.

Q: I know tickets and hotel can be cancelled, but what about my airfare?

We have no control over that, but airlines seem to be pretty lenient about rescheduling tickets these days. To be safe, we recommend waiting until 5-6 weeks before your trip to purchase airline tickets. We should know by then whether or not we have to cancel.

Q: What if Tiki Kon still happens, but I decide not to attend?

We offer no-questions-asked refunds until 7 days before Tiki Kon. If Tiki Kon is canceled, and you decide to save your ticket for 2021, you'll have until June 25, 2021, to request a refund.

Q: How long will it take to get a refund?

If you request a refund within 90 days of your original purchase, we can reverse the payment directly to your credit card. Electronic refunds can take up to a week for the funds to be credited to your account.

After 90 days, we will most likely have to mail you a check or send the funds some other way. This may also take up to a week. If the event is cancelled and many people request refunds at once, it may take longer. We're just a couple of guys doing this from our kitchen table, so please be patient.

Q: What happens to the weekend passes I already bought?

You may choose to request a refund for your 2020 passes and Eye of the Tiki mug pre-order, or keep them. If you keep them, you'll be helping us pay our bills and keep Tiki Kon afloat. You're also guaranteeing your pass level and price for next year. If you give up your passes, you may not be able to get back in at the level you want.

Q: I pre-ordered a mug. Do I have to wait until 2021 to get it?

As long as you're still holding a valid weekend pass, we will offer mug shipping options in the event of cancellation. Mug production is already in full swing, and we're not going to stop it or slow it down. These mugs are just too good.

However, these mugs were designed and produced exclusively for Tiki Kon guests. If you choose to have your mug shipped and then cancel your weekend passes, your passes will be non-refundable, but we will give you credit for future purchases.

Q: I haven't ordered 2020 a passes or merchandise yet. Should I wait?

That is entirely your call. Can you afford it? Do you trust us? If yes, ordering now is the best way to guarantee you get a mug, even if we don't have an event this year. Buying now also protects against possible price increases next year, and it helps us survive in a year of uncertainty.


Update 3/23/2020

As cities go into lockdown, we are continuing to monitor the situation, but we still don't have enough information to know whether travel and assembly bans will be lifted before Tiki Kon. If at all possible, we will continue to hold the as planned July 31 - August 2. We are moving forward as planned, but are postponing some decisions and orders in case we do need to cancel.

Please see the 3/10/2020 update for details on our refund policy. You may cancel your ticket order and receive a full no-questions-asked refund up to 7 days before Tiki Kon and cancel hotel rooms by that date with no penalty. Cancellations after that will be handled on a case-by-case basis.

In the meantime, please:

  • Be smart and observe stay-at-home orders
  • Do whatever you can to support friends who have been laid off, especially the staff at your favorite local Tiki bar
  • Place online merchandise orders and buy gift cards from any small businesses you would hate to lose, if those options are available
  • Be kind to one another, be patient
  • Take care of your self, physically, mentally, and emotionally

We will get through this.


Update 3/10/2020

We love you and don't want you to get sick. But we also refuse to live in fear. Read our official response to the current COVID-19 outbreak.

There's a lot of fear and confusion out there right now about COVID-19, commonly known as coronavirus. We're getting bombarded by conflicting information in the news and social media, and it's hard to know what the real risks are for travel and attending community events like Tiki Kon.

We're not going to be jerks and tell you it's all just media hype, and that you can be irresponsible with your actions and hygiene. But we're also not going to contribute to unhelpful fearmongering and misinformation. Let's all just be level-headed here and make sure we're not putting others at risk, okay?

Here's what we do know:

  • There's a lot of time between now and Tiki Kon.
  • Tiki Kon won't be canceled or rescheduled unless required by local or federal government. To be honest, that would probably bankrupt us. No more Tiki Kon.
  • You and you alone are responsible for determining whether you should attend based on your level of acceptable risk.
  • We offer no-questions-asked tickets and hotel cancellation until 7 days before Tiki Kon, so buy your tickets, book your room, and carry on.
  • If it's still an issue by end of July, the airlines should still be waiving change fees if you need to cancel or change your plans.
  • We expect our attendees to be responsible and practice good hygiene, and to not attend if they are showing symptoms of the virus or other contagious ailments.
  • For our senior guests, or those with respiratory issues or compromised immune systems, we recommend getting clearance from a physician before attending if the outbreak has not been contained by then.

You need to make your own decisions about your health and risk factors, but as things stand today, all systems are go for Tiki Kon: Eye of the Tiki! We will keep you updated as conditions change and we get closer to Tiki Kon weekend.